Monday, October 4, 2010

clown costume (mccall's 6142)

During the past 7 Halloweens, I've made a lot of costumes.  For my kids, other peoples' kids, adults, etc. 

I didn't keep pictures of all of them, but I'm going to share the ones I do have pictures of during the month of October.

I have several criteria for making costumes:
1.  It would be nice if it's not form-fitting, so that another child of different proportions could possibly wear it later.
2.  It is preferably gender neutral, but I realize that's not always possible, so that rule is bendable.
3.  I try to do the best job possible so that the costume is good quality and will last for many years.

So, my first costume I ever made was a clown costume for Samuel from McCall's 6142.

It was a very easy pattern, but the first year, I decided to only do the fabric because I don't really like pom poms that much, but couldn't decide what I wanted to do to embellish it.

(Sorry the picture is grainy.  It's old and was taken on a 2.0 MP camera! *gasp*)

Sometime before Xavier wore it, I added over-sized buttons to the front (and discovered the magic of face "paint.")
Isn't he ADORABLE?!
If you're looking for a clown costume, this one is simple and quick - and it comes with adult pattern sizes, too!

1 comment:

Vivian said...

It was also worn by my little monster last year! This costume is awesome!