Wednesday, October 13, 2010

scarecrow costume (simplicity 4133)

This costume was actually the second costume I ever made, and it's been worn many times since then.  Last year, the idea for doing the Wizard of Oz theme with my kids all started with this costume.

I used Simplicity #4133 to make the scarecrow costume originally, and when I realized the costume would fit Xavier, and that I still had the pattern, the wheels in my head started to turn about turning my other kids into characters, too.


From what I remember about this pattern, it was a fairly intricate pattern with rafia for the straw, patches on the pants, five different pieces to the costume, etc, but it's the best scarecrow pattern I've seen out there.  Just keep in mind that if you're going to make it, give yourself some time.


I also made one change to the pattern.  I didn't use their pattern patch because I thought square ones of different fabrics would look better, and when I was done appliqueing them on with the sewing machine, I handstitched large sloppy stitches around each patch with some really thick thread for an added detail.

Don't forget to check out the other costumes from this year: Toto, Dorothy, and the Tin Man!

3 comments:

Becky said...

We are doing a wizard of oz theme this year, too! My oldest is going to be a lollipop kid, my middle will be dorothy and the baby is going to be the scarecrow. I think for his costume I am going to have him wear a green thermal hoodie with brown fleece pants. I will put patches on his pants and shirt. Since he chews on everything I don't think raffia would be a good idea so I'm thinking some straw colored knit cut into strips would work? Do you have any tips on on the hat? It looks like it should be fairly simple to make. Is it made from felt?
Here is my daughter's lollipop kid costume
http://lessonsonlongview.blogspot.com/2010/09/she-represents-lollipop-guild.html

Audrey said...

Becky! I took a look at your lollipop kid costume, and it's adorable!! As far as the scarecrow costume goes, I've seen knit or cotton strips used for the straw, and it turns out really cute.

The hat was made from felt, and it had a curved top, a fold for the "front" seam (which was longer than the back seam and gave it a cock-eyed look.) If you need more info, please feel free to e-mail me, and I can probably draw you a diagram.

Becky said...

Finished!!!
Thank you for your help!
http://lessonsonlongview.blogspot.com/2010/10/cutest-scarecrow-this-side-of-oz.html