Saturday, June 4, 2011

end of school

I'm sure those of you with school-ages children are feeling the same way I am about this time of year.  Nostalgic, proud, and excited for the lazy days of summer.

We have a first grader and a kindergartner, and over the last few days, we attended each of their end-of-year productions.  Samuel's first grade music program was Thursday night, and Xavier's kindergarten graduation yesterday morning.  In looking at the pictures, I saw things about my kids that frustrate me at times, but today it made me laugh!

First is Samuel.  Samuel was blessed with my mother-in-law's smile.  He has a wide, pretty-lipped smile that makes me jealous much of the time.  Unfortunately, he is 7 years old, and smiles like this when I hold up the camera:


He tucks his lips in and it becomes a very forced excuse for a smile.  Hopefully he'll grow out of it, but someday I'm going to look back and be glad I have this picture to remind me of his "quirk."

Then there is Xavier.  When I sent him to get dressed this morning, I reminded him that this was his last day of school (and his graduation program,) and to try to look nice.  Let's look at what he picked, shall we?


Shorts and a t-shirt.  Not even a button-up or polo shirt, but a t-shirt.  And look where he is:


On the front row.

See the kids around him?


Yeah.

Mine was that kid that people look at and either decided we were dirt poor, or that we didn't care enough about our kid to make him look nice.  Xavier thought he looked nice, though, so that's all that matters.

Anyone else have a humorous experience at "graduation?"  I'd love to hear about it!  And yes, I'm shamelessly fishing for comments.

3 comments:

Vivian said...

All you have to do is click over to my family blog to see what I'm frustrated about. . . At least your kids will participate!

Veronica said...

Ha ha, I know the exact REAL smile of Samuel's that you are talking about! He has gorgeous full lips. What a stinker. And you are a good mama to let X wear what we wanted to!

Joey and Nettifer said...

love Xavier! I didn't know you had this blog! Loving it!