Thursday, May 26, 2011

dress to skirt refashion

A friend of mine approached me about a week ago and told me she bought a dress in the children's department and wanted me to turn it into a skirt.  Intrigued and slightly disbelieving, and agreed to take a look at it.

Turns out this thin friend of mine bought matching mother/daughter dresses: one for her five-year-old, and a size 16 for herself.  Looking at the dress, it seemed like the remake wouldn't be that hard, so I dove right in.


The dress started out with this pretty doily-like bodice, which is cute on a little person, but rather matronly on an adult waistband:



The first step was to detach the lacy overlay,


then cut the bodice even with the back (approximately 3 inches above the seam at the top of the skirt.)

I then serged around the raw edge, folded it over to meet the existing seam, pinned it in place, and sewed around, leaving a gap for the elastic.


I added elastic and sewed it shut.


Start to finish, the project took about an hour and a half and I think it tuned out beautifully!

It's nice to get back to being creative!  See you soon!

Linked to:

Blue Cricket Design











Transformation Thursday


Catch a Glimpse Button

Somewhat Simple

Photobucket






My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

3 comments:

Veronica said...

You are so amazingly talented!!

Heaven's Walk said...

What a blessing to have a gift of sewing! :) That skirt turned out just adorable!!!! Wish you lived closer.....I've got a ton of things that I'd hire you to remake for me! :)

xoxo laurie

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

Very cool! I hope you'll share this at the scrappy saturdays link up tomorrow! @ http://candacecreations.blogspot.com]

Excited to find your blog!