Friday, May 27, 2011

car seat re-cover

This little project was started before Graham was born, but got interrupted by his birth and didn't get finished until yesterday.

The carrier car seat we own had an awful plaid, lumberjack-ish pad with almost no padding.  So, before Graham came, I decided to redo the padding and sun visor in a gender-neutral, but much cuter fabric.  I got the pad done the week before Graham was born, but other things came up, and I didn't finish the sun visor right away.

Then, the weather here in Utah became extremely cold and rainy for the past two months, so it became unnecessary to finish the visor until recently.  And, while the weather here still is not sunny and warm, I refuse to believe that the wet, cold weather can last much longer.

I've gotten off topic, so without further ado, here is the car seat with new "upholstery."

Without a pattern for a car seat pad and visor, I wanted to make sure the new ones would fit, so I tore apart the old ones and used the pieces as a pattern:

Everything seemed to fit perfectly, and I was able to fix a few things about the old pad that I didn't like . . . namely that the top and bottom edge came off a lot because the elastic had been stretched out and wasn't holding the pad on very well.  Also, I used two layers of batting to make Graham's ride a little more comfortable.






Hopefully, I'll have time for more sewing over the weekend.  Have a great one!


Photobucket






My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia


3 comments:

Heidi said...

I love this! Great idea!

Tonia said...

I wish I had a tenth of your talent. I want to get into sewing...I just keep wondering when you have the time to do it!

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

Love it! I saw these on MADE and totally planned on redoing my sons car seat but then it never happened! Your's looks great!
I hope you'll share this at the scrappy saturdays link up tomorrow! @ http://candacecreations.blogspot.com]

Excited to find your blog!