Tuesday, November 16, 2010

felt princess crown

The hit of Rora's birthday this year was the gift that took me 10 minutes to make!!

I made her a felt princess crown that she just loves.  She's worn it almost non-stop for the past 3 days.

I made up my own pattern for this (gasp--I know!) and threw it together very quickly.  So, if you want to make your own, here's how:

I didn't think about a tutorial for this because it was a last-minute idea, so I don't have many pictures, but I think it's easy enough to understand.  If not, I can whip up another one and post a tutorial.

First, I measured Rora's head: 19-1/2 inches.

Next, I began making my pattern by measuring 9" from one side to the other.  (The piece was cut on the fold, making the total length 18 inches.)


After measuring 9 inches, I created the shape I wanted with the highest point in the center, and a smaller point next to it, with the back just a basic strap.

I placed my pattern on the fold and cut one from each of two different colors of felt.

After that, I layed the pieces over the top of one another and sewed around the edges, as close to the edge as possible, leaving the back ends open.


The next step was to cut 2" of elastic for the back.  This will make it so the crown can grow with her a little bit. 

I inserted 1/4 inch of each end of the elastic into the end of the back of the crown and sewed it in place, leaving just less than 1-1/2 inches showing in the back.

The final touch was the diamond in the front of the crown, which I drew on with a pencil, stitched over my lines, and then carefully cut only the top layer of felt so that the under layer would show through.

And ta-da!  A crown fit for a princess.

This process could also be used in different shapes for a king, or a fun birthday crown.

1 comment:

Anne said...

What a lovely crown! And such a pretty birthday princess!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-felt-birthday-crown-2/2010/11/24/
--Anne