Tuesday, June 8, 2010

rag tag baby blanket


When my daughter was born, a very sweet woman at my husband's work made us a blanket that I love. I decided to copy it when a friend of mine had twins. It was a learning experience, and I will be giving you directions the way I would have changed things.

To make this blanket, you will need 1 1/2 yards of each fabric (I only used 1 yard of each, and the blankets I made were a touch too small):

cute cotton fabric for the top,
thin flannel fabric for the middle layer, and
sturdy flannel fabric for the backing

After washing, cut fabric into 8" x 10" rectangles. You will need 24 rectangles of each.


Layer fabrics with one of each panel, and sew and "X" through all three layers.


When all your layers are tacked together, begin sewing the rectangles into rows, with the seams toward the top layer. Sew six rectangles together along the long side with a 5/8" seam--you will end up with four rows.


Attach the four rows to one another, making sure to line up the seams. (Once again, make sure the seams are toward the top of the blanket.)


After sewing everything together, you are about half done. The rest of the process is long and tedious, but a good project to do while watching a chick flick.

Carefully cut the seams for fraying. Be careful not to cut through your stitching, or you'll have to repair it when you're done.

Besides the blankets needing to be 4 rectangles x 6 rectangles, I also learned that the fun fabric should be the one on the top, with plain fabrics in the middle and on the back. No matter how cute the back of the girly blanket was, overall is wasn't as cute because you can't see the back that well.


No comments: